By | Disha Khemchandani
In a state of anxiety, nothing seems right. Wallowing in pity and negativity seems like the thing to do. But it is only sometimes that you can find an anchor back to reality. It is something that pushes you to fight your circumstances and emerge victorious. It is not an easy path to walk. But your desire to change your situation is often an indicator of the result of this war with your anxiety. In my case, the Zentangle method was like a knight in shining armor or rather I’d say, a partner that helped me overcome problems created by anxiety.
What is Zentangle?
“Zentangle is an easy-to learn, relaxing and a fun way to create beautiful images by drawing structured patterns.” Rick Roberts and Maria Thomas-creators of this art-form-realised its potential to calm a person’s mind while Maria was drawing some patterns. She felt a sense of freedom and well-being without any thought of a worry invading her sense of peace.
There were times when everything felt purposeless. Nothing made sense to me. Maybe, I had forgotten what it felt like when you attain a goal. Maybe, I could not feel that sense of euphoria anymore. The rut of the routine had got to me in the truest sense. It is when I discovered Zentangles that life turned for me and there has been no looking back.
With every Zentangle, my confidence increased. One tile at a time. With finished creations to my credit, I could see the scope of experimentation. Truly, Zentangles empowered my creativity.
How does one draw a Zentangle?
• Ideally, Zentangles are drawn on paper tiles of 3.5 inches (89 mm) square. It always helps if you can keep some extra tiles in handy.
• Use a fine liner pen of different numbers, which helps in bringing out the lines as well as helps in filling up empty spaces.
• The internet is the limit when it comes to searching for different patterns. But a class with a CZT (Certified Zentangle Teacher) can certainly help in understanding the nuances and the purpose of this art-form to realize the feeling of Zen, which lurks in those lines and patterns.
There were times when crying bouts had become second nature. At the drop of a hat, my eyes would brim with tears. Hope was starting to fade with every passing day. No matter who spoke to me, nothing helped. But after Zentangles, my self-worth was shooting through the roof. I had realised that I can be my own best person. Nobody holds the power to bring me down.
Uses of Zentangles
• You can relax with ease by drawing a Zentangle. This style of art helps people unwind immediately without the need of any strenuous physical effort.
• Zentangles also help people bond by means of various activities. Collaborative Zentangle creations have further connected people.
• This art has also been associated with an improvement in hand/eye coordination, problem solving, creativity and personal expression and a lot more.
• If you also wish to gift a loved one something unique, Zentangle creations also double up as interesting presents.
I have been thankful that I got exposed to this art. It has healed me in ways I cannot describe. The road to recovery is not just strewn with the fragments of the illness, but also with a lot of hope.